Pickled Courgette Indian Style
When having a nice rich Indian curry, you don’t want to have a heavy side dish, you need to have a light refreshing dish. Try these simple pickled courgettes Indian Style.
Preparing this pickled courgette is hassle free and very quick. You can do it while cooking your curry. Plus, homemade pickles will always impress your guests.
Mustard seeds, fennel and turmeric will turn simple courgettes into truly Indian dish.
Courgettes are packed with antioxidants and vitamin A, which is important for our vision and immune systems, fibre which is a must for healthy digestion……it’s also rich in water, which means it’s low in calories.
So next time when doing your shopping buy some courgettes (also known as zucchini) and prepare these amazing pickled courgettes Indian style.
You can keep it for about 5 days in a container in the fridge.
7 garlic cloves
1 cm fresh ginger
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fennel bold
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon of coriander powder
On a dry pan toast the mustard seeds and fennel, it takes about 2 minutes, it’s ready when the spices are fragrant. When ready set aside.
Peel and chop ginger.
3. Slice garlic using a mandolin as finely as possible (or use a very sharp knife).
4. Heat sesame oil in a pan and fry ginger and garlic for about 4 minutes until they are soft and starting to get brown (be careful not to burn the garlic).
5. In the meantime, cut the courgette into half-moons, ensuring that all pieces are the same size.
6. Add all of the spices (including mustard seeds and fennel) and apple cider vinegar to frying pan with the garlic and ginger.
7. Add courgette pieces and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until courgette is half soft, if mixture is too thick you can add some water.
8. Remove from the heat, add lemon to taste and stir it.
9. Chill before serving and garnish with coriander.